At Probos we are committed to sustainable forest management. We collate and develop information and knowledge and communicate it to foresters, policy makers and organizations in the forest and timber sector, in the Netherlands and worldwide.
As an independent knowledge institute, we work for and with governments, the private sector and non-governmental organizations.
A forest according to Probos
For us, a forest has many facets. It’s an ecosystem, a provider of wood and other products, an instrument of climate change mitigation and a source of income. It is also a place for recreation and represents our cultural heritage. Therefore, we need to protect and expand the forests of the world, and, where appropriate, harvest them sustainably.
We are a not-for-profit consultancy and our professionals are all committed to our mission to promote sustainable forest management through;
- increasing the market share of verified sustainably sourced wood and wood products
- promoting forests as a source of climate mitigation and climate adaptation via climate-smart forestry
- promoting balanced use of biomass for energy and bio-based applications
We bring innovation to the sector by:
- collating, analysing and disseminating reliable data on forests and wood products to enable sound policy making
- helping the forest-based timber supply chain to function optimally
- helping forest managers to create a sound financial base for forest management
- developing professional competence and expertise in forest management
- expanding the area covered by forests and biomass cultivation
- promoting a sound balance in the services and functions of the forest; ecological, productive, socio-economic and environmental
More on ‘The Probos approach‘.